Upstream Public Health
Executive Director – Job Announcement
Upstream Public Health is seeking a dynamic Executive Director to lead the organization into the next level of community impact.
Upstream is a statewide, multi-issue public health policy organization with a high level staff committed to improving the health of Oregonians. Upstream has nine staff (7.2 FTE) and does research and advocacy on issues related to school food, tobacco prevention, dental health and other areas of public health policy. The organization and staff have developed a national reputation for innovation in public health policy and research. Our primary goals are to promote health equity and to ensure that all Oregonians have an equal chance at a long, healthy, and productive life. The Executive Director (ED) is responsible for leading the organization to fulfill its mission. The ED oversees staff, develops and manages the annual budget, raises funds for all program activities, and ensures strong fiscal and administrative systems are in place. The ED both supports and reports to the board of directors.
The ideal candidate is a dynamic public health leader with a track record of leadership, fundraising, and policy advocacy, research and analysis.
Required Attributes Include:
- Leadership skills including staff management, board development, fundraising, marketing/branding, and fiscal management.
- Keen analytic, organization, and problem solving skills with which to set priorities, make strategic decisions, and creatively pursue our policy and research agenda.
- Outstanding presentation and communication skills to be an outgoing spokesperson, relationship builder, and fundraiser.
- Ability to recruit, support and retain a diverse and culturally-responsive team.
- Coalition building and negotiation skills to work effectively with diverse partners.
- Commitment to health equity and racial justice.
Minimum Qualifications Include:
- Broad knowledge of public health policy and programs
- 5+ years of overall experience with staff management responsibility
- Prior nonprofit experience, preferably in leadership
- Experience developing and managing complex budgets
- Demonstrated success as a fundraiser including writing grants, securing sponsorships, and building and maintaining relationships with donors
- Experience working in partnership with marginalized populations to reduce inequities
Key duties of the Executive Director Include:
- Sets staffing structure; divides responsibilities between self, deputy director, development director, etc.
- Supervises and directs key staff in the performance of their duties and performs their annual performance reviews (deputy director, development director, office manager)
- Provides guidance and leadership to all staff
- Makes decisions on hiring and termination of staff
Planning and Board Relations
- Develops and recommends to the board short and long range plans for organizational priorities and program activities
- Keeps board members informed about organizational activities, opportunities and finances
- Develops and presents an annual budget to the board of directors
- Directs all financial operations of the organization
- Ensures strong fiscal and administrative controls are in place
- Serves as the public face of the organization
- Communicates closely with funders, community partners and contractors on key program activities
- Serves on important committees, task forces, etc. to further the organization’s mission
Compensation: Salary is dependent on experience, but will be in the range of $60,000 to $85,000. Benefits include full medical, dental and vision insurance.
How to Apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to UpstreamPublicHealth@gmail.com. Position will remain open until filled; application review will begin September 1st, 2016. When position is filled, there will be an update posted on the website. All applications will be kept confidential during the application process. Full Job Announcement is available here.
About Upstream Public Health: Upstream is dedicated to improving the health of all Oregonians by identifying and implementing the most innovative, public health policy solutions that are backed by science and research. For more information, visit our website: www.upstreampublichealth.org
Upstream is an equal opportunity employer that considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation or any legally protected status.