Upstream's Fall Happy Hour for Health!
When: Tuesday, September 30th from 6-8pm
Where: Wilder Bar Cafe located at 5501 NE 30th Avenue in North East Portland. Click here to see a map.
Reasons you should attend our Fall Happy Hour for Health . . .
- Hear City Club President, and former Portland Mayor, Sam Adams speak about plans to improve dental health for our kids and families.
- Receive an update about Upstream's new Dental Health Initiative
- Enjoy delicious appetizers and beverages
- Network with cool like-minded people
- Check out Wilder Bar Cafe, owned by former Upstream Co-Director Raquel Bournhonesque!
Tickets are $20, unless you are an ongoing monthly donor to Upstream then your admission is free! All proceeds benefit Upstream. Space is limited so sign up here today!
Thank you to our happy hour sponsor
2014 Health Impact Assessment Training
A full day health impact assessment workshop designed for practitioners and consultants who work in planning, evaluation, or assessment led by Upstream Public Health and the Oregon Public Health Institute. Health Impact Assessments are one tool among many to incorporate a “health in all sectors” perspective. HIA has been used in the Pacific Northwest to prevent unintended negative health consequences and promote health through land use, transportation, education, energy, budgeting and other proposals. Lunch and coffee included. This training was developed with support from a grant from the Health Impact Project, a collaboration of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and The Pew Charitable Trusts.
The primary goals of this workshop are to:
· Increase multi-sectoral understanding of HIA rationale and process
· Increase multi-sectoral understanding of key public health concepts and social determinants of health
· Help participants understand when an HIA is appropriate and, if not, what other options exist for providing decision-makers with information about health impacts
· Identify opportunities to integrate HIA or similar health assessments into existing assessment practices and projects
· Strengthen relationships between organizations interested in integrating public health considerations into their work
Who should attend: Public and private sector professionals whose work informs decisions about policies, plans, and projects that shape the built, natural, and social environments, including:
· Planners, Architects, Developers
· Economists, Policy Analysts
· Health Education and Promotion Specialists, Community Engagement Specialists
· Impact Assessment Specialists, Evaluators
Click here to download an agenda.
Cost: $115 general rate; $100 for OAPA, WTS, and OPHA members; $85 for 501c-3 non-profit participants; $25 for students (limited number of spaces) - FULL, please email email@example.com to be added to the wait list for a student spot; $0 for volunteers who receive scholarship based on financial need - FULL, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the wait list for a volunteer spot.
Need a carpool? Email Jessica.email@example.com for information.
CHES Continuing Education Credits: pending approval
Upstream's Search for the 'Healthiest' Beer Event
Thanks for all those attended the Search for the 'Healthiest' Beer Event! To see who won, click here!
Live Auction Items Include:
A three night stay for four in a beautiul custom-built Mt. Hood cabin on 24 acres of protected wilderness named one of the best "Secret Mount Hood Hideouts" by Portland Monthly. Among the variety of private trails that meander through the forest, you'll see everything from fountains to a chandelier hung from the branches. In late summer, the forest fills with huckleberries, and in fall you can harvest all the delicious chanterelle mushrooms by the basketful.
Spend a week on the Big Island of Hawaii near Hapuna Beach, where time stands still and aloha is alive and well. Enchanting, mystical, romantic setting with ocean views and tropical gardens that will leave you breathless. Stay in this 3 bedroom, 3.5 bath home complete with hardwood floors and a spacious open floor plan. Situated on a 2 1/2 acres on the dryside of Waimea, with dramatic unobstructed coastline and three mountain views. The home includes a 3-car garage and a large lanai with a lovely trellis. Located just minutes from Waimea town, and the white sand beaches and resorts on the coast, experience both convenience and privacy in this spectacular Hawaiian home.
A Portland Timber's Game Package that includes 4 tickets to the August 9th Timber's vs. Shivas USA game, 4 exclusive post-game autograph passes to meet the players and and signed 2014 Timber's jersey!
A catered dinner in your home for you and 10 friends, prepared by Scott Neuman, executive chef at OBA! Enjoy delicious Nueva Latino tapas and cocktails made by a guest mixologist in the comfort of your own home!
First Annual Oregon School Garden Summit a Huge Success!
It was thrilling and humbling to see that over 200 individuals came from almost every corner of the state to attend the School Garden Summit. Some people traveled over 300 miles! It was evident that this event helped to address a compelling need. We hope that attendees are able to bring some newfound energy from the Summit back to their schools and organizations to inspire students and other adults alike! For more information on the Summit go to: ODE School Gardens page
The Summit was a project of the Oregon Farm to School and School Garden Network with lead coordination by Upstream Public Health.